In 1917 fourteen residences were built on Edison Avenue (now Blanchard Avenue). Gas Lines were installed, the street paved and sidewalks, curbing and gutters provided. The houses were occupied by workers at Dayton-Wright Airplane Factory and adjourning factory buildings. The Blanchard houses appear to be Sears Roebuck and Company mail-order homes. These homes could be ordered from catalogs from 1908 to 1937 and were shipped pre-cut, numbered and blueprinted to fit together. The homes ranged from $65 to $2,500. Charles Kettering and Colonel Edward Deeds named the other street names in this neighborhood in honor of famous inventors Charles Steinmetz, Marchese Marconi and Robert Fulton.