The 2021 holiday season marks the 13th year that the Christmas Smiles program has been in operation. This program has been such a blessing to many children in our community. The program has served over 1,200 children since it was founded by Kim Wallace back in 2009.
Ways to Help
Now more than ever is a great time to give back to your community if you have the means to do so this holiday season. Please share in the spirit of the holidays by helping put Christmas Smiles on the faces of Moraine children. Here’s how you can assist our program this year:
• Stop in at the Payne Recreation Center or the Gerhardt Civic Center during current operating hours to sign-up to make donations for our families between Wednesday, November 3rd and Wednesday, November 24th.
• Donations are accepted at the Payne Recreation Center or Gerhardt Civic Center during current operating hours in the following forms: Monetary donations in the form of cash or check (please make checks payable to the Moraine Foundation). Gift cards that can be gifted to children, Non-perishable, non-expired food items, New rolls of wrapping paper and tape, Miscellaneous children’s toys and clothing.
• Donations need to be dropped off at the Payne Recreation Center on or before Monday, November 29th.
• You can also help Christmas Smiles all year long by registering your Kroger Plus Card with Community Rewards. Simply create an account on their website or mobile app. Link your Kroger Plus Card to our organization (The Moraine Foundation).
• We are accepting a limited number of volunteers to assist with Christmas Smiles! This is an excellent way for high school students to obtain their community service credit hours
• Volunteers can help with sorting canned goods, preparing food boxes, and assisting with pickup day. If you are interested, please contact one of the coordinators listed below.
For more information contact: Tiffany Doakes, Program Coordinator at (937) 535-1096 or MyKaelah Mercer, Operations Manager at (937) 535-1077.
Christmas can be a very stressful time. If you need help providing Christmas gifts to your family, the City of Moraine might be able to help you this holiday season. Through this free program, we provide Christmas gifts and a food box for children in need in our community. We collect basic information for each child, including clothing sizes and Christmas wishes. Once we gather all of that information, the children are selected by individuals and families in our local community that want to help.
Those individuals and families purchase Christmas presents for your child, which typically include clothing, shoes, winter necessities, and items from your child’s wish list. We coordinate a day in December for you to come pick everything up well before the actual holiday, to allow you time to wrap your child’s gifts and have a wonderful meal on Christmas day. If you are interested in this program, please see the information below regarding the application process.
Qualifying for the Program 2021
• School age child must be on free or reduced lunch program through their school. Qualifications for the free or reduced lunch program will be validated through his or her school.
• Each child must be a Moraine resident.
• Each child must be between the ages of newborn to 17 at the time of application.
Step #1: Please complete all of the questions on the online ‘Christmas Smiles Application’ form below to submit the first portion of your application for the 2021 Christmas Smiles program with the City of Moraine Parks and Recreation Division. This form must be completed by Thursday, October 21st by 5pm.
Step #2: You will be required to come in person to the Payne Recreation Center (3800 Main Street, Moraine, Ohio 45439) during one of our designated dates and times to verify your information for this years program. You are required to come to one of the following selections for this second portion of the application process:
• Monday, October 25 from 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. or
• Tuesday, October 26 from 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. or
• Wednesday, October 27 from 4 p.m. – 7 p.m.
• You must bring proof of Moraine residency: Acceptable proof is a water, gas or electric bill in your name with your current address listed on the bill. Your utility bill must be dated within 30 days prior to the application date or it will not be accepted.
Cable bills, insurance statements, tax receipts, etc. will not be accepted as proof of residency.
• Parent or guardian verification: State issued Photo ID, including a valid Driver’s License or other valid state issued Photo ID.
• Child verification: Parent or guardian must bring an official certified birth certificate or court issued documentation of custody for each child.