Construction began in 1835 and was completed in 1845 beginning in Toledo and ending in Cincinnati creating a water route from Lake Erie to the Ohio River. Boats up to 8 feet long were towed along the canal by using donkeys, horses or oxen on a prepared towpath. The canal ran along this site in Moraine from West Carrollton to Carillon Park. Canal Lock 22 was located at the corner of Dryden Road and East River Road. The canal was abandoned for commercial use in 1913 after the historic flood damaged it.